Project: City of Palmerston redeveloped the Palmerston Swimming and Fitness Centre into a Swimming, Wellness, Events, Leisure and Lifestyle precinct for the entire community to enjoy.
The proposed SWELL (Swimming, Wellness, Events, Leisure, Lifestyle) master plan is part of Council’s strategic vision to provide Palmerston residents with a contemporary and family friendly, water and lifestyle precinct.
Located in Moulden, Palmerston, the ageing facility will be upgraded to cater to a wider range of interests to support Palmerston’s growing population.
The redevelopment will include:
- refurbishment of the 50-metre pool
- a splash and play area
- an events area
- basketball half court
- new and improved accessible toilets and change rooms
- aquatic play structure
- energy efficient, modern pool plant and equipment and shade features.
- re-roofing of the gym and youth drop in centre
The City of Palmerston, the Northern Territory Government and the Australian Government have committed $19.4M towards this project.
- Current Status
The Gym has been temporarily closed whilst new equipment arrives, also included a re-roofing.
The SWELL project was officially finished in late November 2023, the work included:
- Demolition and removal of leisure pool, shade structures and 50m pool edge
- Electrical substation and water main installed
- Site preparation completed
- Program pool and 50m pool slabs poured and balance tanks completed
- 50m and program pools structurally complete with Mythra systems installed
- 100% of block work completed on plant room
- Completion of all underground services
- Ramps and seating ledges for 50m and program pool poured
- Retractable shade
- 2-storey Aquatic Play structure
- Basketball court
- Progress Photographs - November 2023
- Progress Photographs - October 2023
- Progress Photographs - September 2023
- Progress Photographs - July 2023
- Progress Photographs - April 2023
- Progress Photographs - March 2023
- Progress Photographs - January 2023
- Progress Photographs - December 2022
- Progress Photographs - October 2022
- Progress Photographs - September 2022
Works will take place Monday to Saturday between the hours of 7am to 5pm. Where any local traffic diversions or night works are required, advance notice will be given to nearby residents and businesses.
The public swimming pool will be closed for the duration of construction, while the fitness centre will remain open. We thank you in advance for your patience and consideration.
If you require additional construction information or would like to discuss the project, please contact Council on 8935 9922.