The upgrade of the Marlow Lagoon Dog Park has been completed as of August 2021. The upgraded park is now accessible to all users and their dogs. The dog park now comes with newly designated fenced dog areas, including a main area, small dog area, quiet dog area, and a time-out area, all complete with access to water and dog agility equipment.
- Project History
Following feedback from the community, City of Palmerston developed a Concept Plan for potential improvements to the Marlow Lagoon Dog Park. The concept plan was developed after Council received a petition about creating a dedicated small dog area at the park.
The park already has a number of amenities available, including a large common area for all dogs, a dog agility course, a shaded BBQ area, pathways, shade trees, a smaller fenced area to separate dogs, park benches and lake frontage.
Suggested improvements have been incorporated into a Stage 1 Works final plan. They ensure the park is designed in line with Council’s vision of ‘A Place for People’, while catering for the needs of their canine companions.
- Project Information
The initial Concept Plan, designed by open space and animal behaviour specialists LMH Consulting/Paws4Play, includes options for zones and sensory elements to help manage dog behaviours and ensure all users can enjoy the park.
The design took into consideration safety, separating activity areas and maintaining pedestrian access points. The dog park has been designed to:
- help disperse dog activity across the park
- help distract dogs from a continued focus on play with other dogs
- provide areas where dogs can retreat, or where owners can take elderly or timid dogs
- help distract dogs from activity at the entry/exits
- expose dogs to a range of sensory and educational environments.
- What's included?
Marlow Lagoon Dog Park Improvements included:
- Planting of additional shade trees
- A new footpath loop
- Year-round irrigation of new grassed areas
- Artificial shade
- Compound entry/exits to all park entrances
- A new concrete stair case
- A dedicated space provision for small dogs, including drinking water access
- Additional agility equipment, installed in stages
- Additional seating and drinking water for dogs and humans
- Lake edge improvements
- Landscaping and sensory areas
- A new public toilet which was installed in July 2022.
Further shade is planning in future developments.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (08) 8935 9922.