Council is committed to improving the safety of our road networks and provide a safer environment for motorists and pedestrians around schools.
In July 2018, Council announced its roll-out program of installing Electronic Speed Limit Signs (ESLS) at schools in Palmerston to alert drivers to the 40km/h speed limit during school times.
ESLS appear to have a strong and long-lasting influence on driver observance of vehicle speeds, with studies identifying speed reduction being more effective the longer the speed feedback signs are at the location.
- Costs and duration
$200,000 over 24 months
- $100,000 - committed from City of Palmerston
- $100,000 - funding secured from the Northern Territory Government Capital Grants Program
Council has installed permanent ESLS in the Bakewell Primary School, Durack Primary School, Moulden Park Primary School, Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School, Driver Primary School, Good Shepherd Lutheran School, Gray Primary School, MacKillop Catholic College and Rosebery Primary School crossings.
Installation works for the remaining school crossings commenced in November 2019, and will be completed in time for the start of the 2020 school year:
- Gray Primary School, Gray
- Woodroffe Primary School, Woodroffe
- Palmerston College, Rosebery
- Mother Teresa Catholic Primary School, Zuccoli
- Zuccoli Primary School, Zuccoli
- Bakewell Primary School, Bakewell