Composting or worm farming is an effective way to reduce your household's food waste going to landfill. City of Palmerston is providing a helping hand to purchase your own organic recycling system easier with our Home Composting Rebate. The initiative provides eligible Palmerston residents a rebate of up to $50 off the purchase of eligible composting equipment, from Monday 10 January 2022. Rebates will be backdated for purchases made from Saturday 1 January 2022.
To be eligible for the rebate, you:
- must live in the Palmerston municipality
- can only claim one rebate per household
- may only purchase composting bins and worm farms (exclusion of accessories such as compost tools and benchtop bins)
To claim your rebate:
- buy your compost bin or worm farm from a Northern Territory business
- complete the Home Composting Rebate online form below
- attach a copy of the Tax Invoice, clearly displaying the date of purchase and Tax Invoice number
- provide and attach proof of your Palmerston address. This can be a copy of a rates bill, electricity bill or driver’s licence
- submit the form
HOME COMPOSTING REBATE FORM
For further video resources on composting and worm farms visit Gardening Australia.
- What are the benefits of home composting?
Compost systems and worm farms are great for reducing organic waste disposal but also provide rich, natural fertiliser that’s great for plants and gardens.
- Can I purchase a second-hand compost system?
Secondhand purchases can be rebated if a valid proof of purchase is provided. To be valid a receipt must be itemised and include the item purchased, cost, date and name, and phone number of the seller.
- I own an investment property but do not reside here. Can I purchase a system for the tenant and claim the rebate?
The rebate is only available to City of Palmerston residents.
- What if I lose the receipt for my home composting system?
If you wish to claim a rebate you must provide a copy of receipt or proof of purchase which includes the date and an itemised list of the goods. A rebate will not be provided without a valid receipt.
- Can I purchase the composting system online?
Your compost system can be purchased online, but only from a Northern Territory based business. Postage costs are not eligible for the rebate.
- I bought a composting system before 1 January but still have the receipt, can I claim the rebate?
The rebate Terms & Conditions require that the composting system or worm farm be purchased on or after 1 January 2022.
- Can I claim the rebate in person and the City of Palmerston Civic Plaza, Library or Recreation Centre?
Council staff can provide assistance with filling in the online rebate application form. The rebate will take up to 28 days to be deposited into your account.
- I purchased my composting system or worm farm for $40, am I eligible to receive the full $50 rebate?
The rebate is for purchases up to $50 (including GST). The purchase of a composting system or worm farm for $40 (including GST) for example would be eligible for a $40 (including GST) rebate.
Full Terms and Conditions found here.