City of Palmerston is trialling treatments in 11 laneways across three Palmerston suburbs to discourage anti-social behaviour.
Spatial mapping was used to identify the laneways most suitable for the trial, based on a combination of lighting assessments, police reports, resident feedback and site inspections.
Treatments being trialled in each laneway will be one of the following methods:
- installing smart LED lighting to effectively illuminate the laneway to:
- increase passive surveillance
- discourage vandalism and anti-social behaviour
- trial lighting levels and hours of lighting; or
- temporarily closing laneways (the hours of closure to be determined by a technical assessment and informed by the results of the public consultation).
The selected laneways and corresponding trial treatments are:
- Manson Court to Bonson Terrace – Lighting upgrade
- Bonson Terrace to Staghorn Court – Lighting upgrade
- Staghorn Court to Gumnut Way – Lighting upgrade
- Staghorn Court to Livistona Park – Lighting upgrade
- Gumnut Way to Livistona Park – Lighting upgrade
- Livistona Park to Melastoma Drive – Lighting upgrade
- Politis Court to Strawbridge Park – Temporary closure
- Politis Court to Strawbridge Crescent – Temporary closure
- Priest Circuit to Phineaus Court – Lighting upgrade
- Priest Circuit to Emery Avenue – Lighting upgrade
- Helio Court to Sibbald Park – Temporary closure
Residents who live nearby or use one of the laneways included in this trial are encouraged to provide feedback at www.palmerston.nt.gov.au
Quote from City of Palmerston Mayor, Athina Pascoe-Bell
While Council acknowledges there have been issues with anti-social behaviour occurring in some laneways in Palmerston, these laneways are also important for providing access and connectivity in our community.
The trial measures will enable Council to evaluate and review the effectiveness of treatments. It will also enable effective consultation with residents and stakeholders and provide insights into possible improvement measures that may lead to a larger laneway improvement program.