City of Palmerston has committed to preparing a Rating Strategy for the next ten years in consultation with the community.
The purpose of the City of Palmerston Rating Strategy is to:
- Determine a fair method of raising revenue from rates.
- Ensure that the money raised through rating property owners, in conjunction with other income sources, will guarantee the long-term financial sustainability of the Council; and
- Ensure that Council has sufficient measures in place to support community groups, pensioners and those suffering from hardship.
To implement this strategy, Council has established a volunteer-based Community Reference Group (CRG) to provide ideas, concepts and feedback to form part of the development.
Members of the CRG will be given the opportunity to:
- Attend and participate in CRG meetings and be briefed on the preparation process.
- Articulate interest, ideas, concerns and perspectives that will help shape the Rating Strategy.
- Work as team members and participate in collaborative discussions.
- Convey feedback to Council staff from members of the community; and
- Review the draft Rating Strategy.
Successful nominees are expected to attend four facilitated evening meetings at 6pm on:
- Thursday 20 September
- Thursday 27 September
- Wednesday 17 October
- Thursday 6 December
Meetings are facilitated by an external independent agency.Summary of workshop two held on 27 September
August 2018: Call for nominations for the Community Reference Group. Closing date for nominations is Wednesday 5 September 2018.
September/October 2018: CRG members will meet to provide ideas, concepts and feedback to form part of the development of a draft Rating Strategy.
November 2018: Council staff will form the Rating Strategy based on feedback from the CRG meetings.
Early December 2018: CRG members will be presented with draft Rating Strategy based on their feedback to be endorsed for consideration by Elected Members.
February 2019: The Rating Strategy will be released for broader public consultation.
March 2019: Council will review submissions from the public consultation, amend where appropriate and adopt the Rating Strategy.